NIS j.s.c. Novi Sad was established as NIS-NAFTAGAS by the decision of the FPRY on 10/02/1949 as the Company for Exploration and Production of Oil and Gas with headquarters in Zrenjanin.
It is within this company that the Mechanical Workshop was also established, operating ever since under different names. The Mechanical Workshop has been developing in accordance with the capabilities and needs of the Parent Company. Its first serious intervention on capital equipment was an overhaul of a fixed engine in 1950 (mid-year), whereas in the period from 1954 to 1956 it started doing the workover of drilling rigs and manufacturing necessary spare parts.
From 1960 to 1988, equipment maintenance capacities were developed and modernised, as well as the capacities for spare parts production, equipment production and construction of the oil and gas gathering, dispatch, storage and transport facilities.
The Zrenjanin Maintenance Department was established on 01/01/1995 within the OU Mining Services as a part of an internal reorganisation of NIS-NAFTAGAS Novi Sad. On 28/09/2005, the Company for Exploration, Production, Refining, Sales and Distribution of Oil and Petroleum Products and Exploration and Production of Natural Gas NIS j.s.c. was established. NIS-NAFTAGAS is its branch for the exploration and production of oil, natural gas, groundwater and geothermal energy, engineering in the area of oil industry and facilities design and construction.
On 10/02/2009, 51% of NIS` shares became the property of Gazprom Neft, whereas the Government of the Republic of Serbia remained the owner of 49%.
NIS-Naftagas ceased to exist on 01/10/2010, serving to form separate business units within NIS j.s.c. Novi Sad: the Exploration and Production and the Services. As a part of the new organisation, the Technical Services Department was established in the Services.
On 12/01/2012, the founding document was signed by the decision of the NIS j.s.c. Chief Executive Officer providing the establishment of NAFTAGAS - Tehnicki servisi d.o.o. Zrenjanin, owned 100% by its founder, NIS j.s.c. Novi Sad. The new company was formed out of the Technical Services Department and its departments: Zrenjanin Maintenance Department, Pancevo Maintenance Department, Novi Sad Maintenance Department and Construction Department. The legal entity was registered in the Serbian Business Registers Agency under number 20801794.
The refineries in Pancevo and Novi Sad were established by the Decision of the Executive Council of the People`s Republic of Serbia on 18/12/1959. The first unit was put into operation in 1968. Maintenance work units were established as a part of the refineries.
On 27/07/2011, a section of the WU Maintenance became a part of the Services as Pancevo Department and Novi Sad Department. Further changes in the Company resulted in the establishment of a subsidiary company of NIS under the name of NAFTAGAS - Tehnicki servisi on 01/06/2012. All the staff of Pancevo Department were transferred to the newly established company.
In May 2007, the laboratory for testing pressurised vessels and safety valves was granted accreditation in line with the requirements of the SRPS ISO/IEC 17025:2006 standard.